Sunday, September 28, 2014

The Mix (test): Unreliable Narrator


    I do not remember a time when I did not hate the man. Just because he had known my wife since they were in kindergarten did not mean I did not see him as a threat. He was the biggest threat there was and I would not let him get in between my wife and I.  He knew I did not like him, but he would always try to talk to me whenever I saw him. We only saw him once a year at his Christmas party. He would invite all his friends and their spouses to his house to enjoy some wine and have a nice dinner. I could not stand this night, it was hours of torture and careful moderation, to make sure that he did not get too close to my wife. He always made her laugh and smile and she would talk about him for days after. I have always wanted to do something about him and I decided that this was the year that I would finally do something.

    The invite came in the mail the other day and I carefully scanned the card for the date and once I found it I knew he chose that day on purpose. My wife and I got married close to Christmas time so that time of year is always extra special to me. The man chose our anniversary for his party. I already had plans to go to dinner and have a nice night with my wife that night so I realized that I had to wait until next year to do something about him. When I told my wife about how he planned his party on our anniversary and that we could not see him this year. She agreed with me and I was happy about that. Finally a year without seeing him.

    The next day I woke up happy about life. My was getting my Christmas bonus today, my anniversary was soon, and I finally could go a year without seeing this dreadful man. I was eating my breakfast while my wife checked her e-mail when she told me that she had good news. I was wondering what this could be seeing we do not normally get big news. She told me that the she e-mailed the man telling that he could not make it the night of his party and that she could come over the next night with just the three of us if he wanted to. Before she could even tell me the news I was mad. Why would she ask him if we could see each other another day? She knew that I despised him and I was happy that we were not going over. So I asked what he said and she told me that he was sorry for planning the party on our anniversary but it was more than fine if we came the next night. Great, I still have to go over his house and see him. This ruined my whole day, not even getting my Christmas bonus would make up for this. At least I could finally do something about him this year.

    So I woke up the morning after my anniversary miserable and dreading of the activities I had planned for the day. I had to be at the man’s house at four o’clock in the afternoon and he  lived about an hour away. So around two my told me to start to get ready because we were leaving in an hour. I begged my wife to not let me go but she said that I had no choice. Even though I had plans for what I wanted to do with him at his house. I found a poisonous mix that I could put into his drink when I went over. So a little before three my wife and I got into the car to go to his house. I made sure that I had the mix in my pocket before we left. Finally, my plan will be completed.
    We arrived at his house shortly after four. He lived by himself because of what he said was trust and commitment issues. My wife immediately started talking to him and looked like she had a good time. He was watching the football game before we got there and asked if it was I was okay with watching it. I liked football so I told him it was fine and sat down. He told us that he ordered Chinese food and that it would be here shortly. As I was watching the game I could hear the laughter between the both of them. I was going to wait till dinner to put the poison in his drink but I could not wait much longer. I saw there was a bottle of wine in the kitchen so I went in and poured three glasses. I put the poison in one of the glasses. When I turned around to put the bottle on the counter my wife and the man picked up their glasses and left me one. I knew that the remaining glass definitely did not have the mix in it. I was pretty sure the man had the one with the mix in it because I remembered that the glass I put it in looked slightly different. My wife sat at the table and the man and I sat by the television. We were all sipping our wine and I was carefully watching the man. He kept looking at his glass like something was wrong so I knew he had the one with the mix it in. I knew it was just a matter of time before he died and my plan was a success. Right when I thought it was all going good I heard a thump on the table and a scream from the man.
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment